Stay in the Loop! Free!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Followers

search my blog posts?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Show Week




I AM POOPED! After what seems like months of painting...well, I guess is has been! Getting ready for a show where I am the only artist does take months. Painting, selecting, framing, packing to move it all, pricing labels, business cards, brochures, load it in the car, take it out of the car, try not to ding the frames, and figure out (hopefully with help) how it best can be displayed. If I'm lucky, I'm too busy to get scared!

Continuing Education is vitally important for an artist. You take advantage of workshops, extended travel workshops where you do nothing but paint and haul your equipment all over hell's half acre in Europe somewhere (pitiful, isn't it?), eat, breathe, sleep art. Pick the instructor's brain for every piece of information they have...every tidbit of experience they can share...just hoping for that magic brush or stroke that makes your work genius!
Of course, you realize that there is no magic tool or technique...just years and years of study and practice. I found that too much 'continuing ed' can be bad, for me anyway. So, describe it as a sponge...several weeks or months in my studio painting several hours minimum a day...then take a workshop or extended several week excursion to absorb enough new information to give you something to 'chew' on over the next few weeks, months in your own studio.
I am driven to be the best artist I can be. If I'm too tired to be in my studio, I am researching something on the internet...and then take an art magazine or art book to bed while I finish my last glass of wine. Not that there is anything wrong with artists who paint for social weekly painting groups. It's just that I don't know how to do anything just for fun.
SO, the upcoming show. The best work I've done so far. Had a 'jury of my peers' choose their 10 least favorite from a field of 32 or so. Since they only agreed on 5 or so least favs, and most were small, we were able to hang 24. 
The Julie Wait Design office has a beautiful space for exhibiting 2-D art, and in partnership with Poor Richard's Art in historic downtown Rogers, is giving local artists a great venue to showcase our art.

Maybe more tomorrow. Have to go to continuing ed for my real estate license on Thursday. necessary eeee--villlle!

Vickilou

2 comments:

Art By Erika said...

(((HUGS))) You rock girl! Congratulations accomplishing all this! It took me 2 years to prepare for my show as I saved and scrimped for every material used to create and the final framing expenses ARGH! I was hunting around for some good deals along the way and all the time yelling "WHERE'S MY PERSONAL ASSISTANT!!!" lol Wouldn't it be nice? :) But you've reached this point and it's almost time for you to relax ;) Now you're also prepared to show your work around other venues! Major cool! Hope to see you this weekend, we're supposed to be in for some weather.

Hey I know that guy in the picture, very nice guy!

Loves ya!

JulieMayser said...

Hi Vicki! Many congratulations on your fine achievement! Wish I could have been there, and hope all was just wonderful!
I had my own opening last Sunday in Van Buren, with 17 paintings- shared the space with a sculptress. Then Monday we went to Tennessee to pick up a travel trailer. Came home Tuesday (12 hours on the road ) driving thru miserable weather. Wed. I prepared for my three-day watercolor workshop I taught at the Fort Smith Art Center on thursday,Friday,Saturday. I was so tired last night that I slept 12 hours!
Hope you "broke a leg!"
Hugs,
Julie