Stay in the Loop! Free!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Followers

search my blog posts?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Meanderings about life as an artist and shows

Another week or so of painting 4-5 hours a day and I'll know if I have anything 'show' worthy! I'm just painting now for fun...if something good comes, I'll enter it. If not, I won't. It is a real conundrum for an artist who organizes a judge for an event. What if he chooses one of mine for an award? Will I always feel he recognized my style (ha) or signature (double ha since he mentioned I needed a more professional one).

OR, maybe he wouldn't pick one of mine. May-haps I'll just chicken out and take the high road...say I'm not entering out of respect for him. Ha-Ha-Ha...really just afraid I won't show as good as I did last year!

This is why real artists recommend not entering local shows where you are known...as the beginner...as a good winner...and then, nothing! If you enter national competitions and win, everyone knows! If you enter national's and don't, no one has a clue that you even entered.

THEN, you have to look at why enter anything anyway! If your art is selling, do you need a ribbon? In it for the lucrative prizes? I have enough pastels now to last a lifetime. Would be nice to capture a national and have that fleeting recognition in a magazine!

THERE it is then...EGO!

This past week has flown by. I've been in the studio at least 40 hours. kinda like a full time job. Leslie Newman, painting buddy, is a good motivator. I work in the studio an hour or so, go out to the pool and scoop a few leaves, back to the studio...all day. Well, those of you who know me know my 'work day' doesn't start until noon-ish. I do computer work first.

I've also been in the throes of workshop planning (explaining, head counts for kits, helping with accommodations, etc) At least the treasurer is handling the money for this one. Randy and I organized the upcoming Charles Reid workshop and it has been full since last December and doesn't happen until Oct. 5. We took care of the workshop and judge for the Ozark Pastel Society show the week of August 18. Mr. Leslie B. DeMille will be our houseguest (Yeah, I've already warned him that there is no French chef lurking to deliver gourmet meals every day) He may get peanut butter since we will be painting all day while he is here!

Maybe I can call in some barter 'buckx' and get someone to 'cook-off' their account! Hmmm...creative thinking!

Both workshops are on track, and I'm headed to the studio. Actually, planning some major workshops for 2009...maybe I've found a new career...stateside La Bonne Etoile...Triple HAHAHA!

PS: all kidding aside, Mr. Les encourages the public, friends and family to attend the 4 demos at $15 a head. Students will, of course, get first seating, and right to communicate with him. BUT, he is entertainment personified! While he was doing his demo at IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies in Albuerqurque, NM 2007) of Urania Christy Tarbet the founder...in front of 400, He would squint at her, make a  mark...turn around and tell a story, then turn back and make a perfect mark that would be her! Fascinating!

Tues, 8-19, 6:30-ish, Demo in pastel from life (model maybe red-headed nephew Josh)
Wed, 8-20, 9:ish, Figurative Demo in pastel with focus on features, materials (from life)
Thurs, 8-21, 9:ish, figuragive Demo in oil from life
Fri, 8-22, 9:ish, Still Life Demo

All demos will be over around noon. We are asking for reservations...location is at Apple Blossom in Rogers, AR, and seating is limited.

No comments: