Stay in the Loop! Free!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Followers

search my blog posts?

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Moses Botkin Challenge March 2012 Zorn Palette

This month was my idea...using the pigments most usually attributed to 'the Zorn Palette'...Cadmium Red Lt, Yellow Ochre, Ivory Black and White. These are the modern ones that closely match Anders Zorn's favorite limited palette.

"Isabelle"
14x11" Oil on Linen Panel

My model is Isabelle Roché, who owns La Maison du Pastel in Paris. Very interesting story...Roché Pastels have been manufactured continuously since the late 1800's...used by Degas and other painters of the time.

Ever the student, I started with a quick color swatch 'assignment'. These are mixed with just two of the 4 pigments, lightened with white. Adding a smidge of one of the 3rd colors would give more choices! 

"Color Swatch Cad Red Lt, Yellow Ochre, I.Black, T.White"
© Vicki Ross, Oil


"Travellers"
9"x7" oil  



"Laura and Vincent"
 8" x 10", Oil on panel


"Pensive"
Oil on canvas, 10"x8"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

"Water" 
6x6" oil





5 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for an interesting Challenge choice for our group this month, Vicki! I enjoyed this one, even though it was a bit frustrating to lack blue on the palette.

Your portrait is wonderful, BTW! I think it is one of your best pieces.

mary maxam said...

Yes, good challenge Vicki and I love your painting-elegant!

VickiRossArt said...

Diana, thanks so much...I value your opinions!

Mary, it was a fun challenge, wasn't it?

Ruth Andre said...

Vicki, The challenge was excellent and it is so much fun to see the painted results. I truly love you painting. Wonderful!

VickiRossArt said...

Thanks so much, Ruth! Sure miss your participation...and your style. Hope you join us again soon...