Spent the first couple hours of my day getting Baby B's oil changed, then caught a quick lunch with Randy and Al. By the time I got home, I tried to talk myself out of painting...and lost. So I gutted up and went to the easel.
I quit around 6:30...almost panicked, but settled down and had a fruitful afternoon.
For your review, the first pic is of the dead layer. Again, it was real tempting to quit and declare victory on the painting...but forged ahead. With underlayers thoroughly dry, I could always wipe back if I goofed.
Here is the slideshow of the progress. The shirt on the girl in the front is luscious shades of light pink, purple, golden white...all the same value, and they don't show up too good in these quick snaps. There were plenty of spots to quit and wipe off! Hmmm...I think I could push the darker values in her t-shirt a bit more.
The next snap is where I quit for the day.
I like this technique, but not for everything I do. I think I really prefer slapping the paint on over this meticulous stuff. Background girl's face needs much more, and she has hair dropping down over her left eye. Her smock looks like she has been working in a meat market...I got carried away with the yellow ochre. It is a small floral print with a bluish panel sewn down the side, but I sure don't want to get carried away with prints!
Hope you enjoy this in-progress blog post.