End of 3rd layer...burnt umber underlayer
With one messy finger on the instructions and the other mixing colors, I made the 7 'grey' colors for the 'dead layer'. Hit a bump with the scraping, tho. Smeared an onion over the surface, linseed oiled it, buffed it, and then ra-ta-ta-ta...put a razor blade on it to get any brush hairs or rough areas. Too hard, and ended up getting some pigment. Oops. Forged on.
Match grey color to values on the umber...slowly and carefully.
Darkest areas first. Leaving some of the umber showing between strokes so you can tell where you are.
Here, I am still on the background.
Background corrected (another brush to remove excess paint) and blended smooth.
Flower blocked in with grey values
Then correcting, and blending. I took my time, and realized I did not want to blow it now.
THEN, worked on edges, pushing the background in and pulling some strokes out to make a more interesting shape
Tomorrow I work at Poor Richard's Art (one of my 2 days for the month), so won't get to work on my 'lil French girls' until saturday. This one will have plenty of time to dry...and then the first colors!